* Extreme heat cooked much of the United States, Europe and Asia
* Will deflation/disinflation in China soon be exported to the rest of the world?
* Investment banking, trading slowdown to low, said Head of Morgan Stanley
* U.S. GDP growth set to pick up in second quarter: Atlanta Fed GDPNow Model
* Wave of business bankruptcies brewing as the era of easy money fades
* US homebuilder sentiment recovers in July, highest level since June 2022
* American industrial production falls for the second month of June
*Retail sales in the United States increase for the third month, reflecting a slow but resilient spending trend:
US tech stocks continue to rise, outpacing the broader market this year. Technology Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLK) closed at a record low on Tuesday, July 18. The sector fund’s gain yesterday benefited from the support of its largest position (23.2% of the portfolio): Microsoft (MSFT), which hit a record high yesterday after the company announced a new artificial intelligence subscription service for its Microsoft 365 software bundle.
Although the US stock market has rallied strongly so far in 2023, the gain pales next to the tech sector. XLK is up more than 45% year-to-date, more than double the rise of the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY) this year.
Learn how to use R for portfolio analysis
Quantitative analysis of the investment portfolio in R:
An introduction to R for modeling portfolio risk and return
By James Picerno